When you publish an episode, you need to enter information about it so that it appears correctly in your publication destinations. To speed up your publication process, you can enter default information that appears automatically in the Add Episode form.
For example, if you know that your episodes will almost always have a clean rating, you can use defaults to select Clean so that it always appears automatically in the Explicit field when you're preparing an episode for publication. The default saves you from having to select that option every time you publish an episode.
The information you enter as default is just a starting point to help speed up your publication prep. You can always change any default settings when you publish an episode if they don't apply.
To set up episode defaults:
- If you have more than one show, make sure you select the show for which you want to set defaults before you start. See Add an Additional Podcast to Your Libsyn Account.
Click the icon in the top of your Libsyn account to display the Settings page.
- Click Episode to display the Episode Defaults form.
- Enter the information you want to appear automatically when you prepare an episode for publication. You can leave any field blank if you don't want to enter a default for it.
Category Enter the category for your episode. For more information about episode categories, see the "Category" section in About Your Episode Details. Permalink Points To Enter the URL to which you want your publication to point. For more information about your options, see the "Permalink Points To" section in About Your Episode Details. Update ID3 Tags
ID3 tags are the metadata in your MP3 file. Metadata are pieces of info about the file such as title, author name, and description.
You can select one of the following options as the default for your Add Episode form:
- Import from MP3 File: Select this option to automatically turn on the Populate Form with ID3 Data option when you publish an episode. This option uses the information in your ID3 tags to import all relevant information to Libsyn.
- Export to Episode MP3 File: Select this option to automatically select the Export info from this form to ID3 tags in MP3 file option when you publish an episode. This option takes the information you write in the Add Episode form and uses it to update the ID3 tags in your episode's media file.
- None: Select this option to leave both ID3 options in the Episode Details form turned off when you publish an episode.
For more information, see Manage the Episode Information in Your Media Files.
Explicit Enter whether your episodes are clean or explicit. For more information about ratings, see the "Explicit" section in About Your Episode Details. Season Number Enter the season number you're currently on. When you change to a new season number, remember to come back to this field and change it. If you don't use seasons for your show, leave this field blank. Episode Number Enter the episode number that you are currently on. For example, if your next publication is episode 6, enter 6. Libsyn automatically tracks your publications and increases your default number by one when you publish to help with episode numbering and to speed up publication. For example, if you enter 6, the Episode Number field will automatically be labeled with a 6 in the Episode Details form when you prepare your next publication, and the publication after that will automatically be labeled 7, and so on. Schedule Release
Select one of the following options:
- None: Select this option if you don't want to set up a default schedule because you need to set up a different schedule every time you publish.
- Set Schedule for All Destinations: Select this option if you want to set up a default schedule. See Schedule One Date to Publish Your Episode to All Your Destinations below.
- Click Save. Next time you publish an episode, the information you entered above appears automatically in the Add Episode form for your new episode.
Schedule One Date to Publish Your Episode to All Your Destinations
If you have a set schedule for preparing episodes and publishing them, you can set up a default schedule for your episodes. For example, if you usually prepare your episodes for publication on a Friday and release them on the following Monday, you can set up Mondays as your default publishing day.
This option lets you set up one default time to publish your episode to all of the publication destinations you've connected your show to, including podcast directories, websites, and social media sites. To do so:
- In the Episode Defaults form, in the Schedule Release field, select Set Schedule for All Destinations.
- In the Media Availability field that displays, select one of the following options:
Media files are always available Select to make your episode available to share before the date you've scheduled it to be published. This option is useful if you want to share your episode with someone who needs to listen to it before the general public does. (Note: Libsyn stats will begin to track your episode as soon as you make it available to share.) Media files are available based on release schedule Select if you don't want your episode to be available to anyone before the scheduled time for publication.
- In the Release Type field that displays, select one of the following options:
Release Immediately on Publish
Select if you want your episode to be published immediately to all of your publication destinations when you click Publish.
Delay Release by Number of Days Select if you want your episode to be published to all of your publication destinations a specific number of days after you click Publish. Enter the number of days you want to wait for your episode to be published in the Release Delay field, and enter the time you want to publish the episode in the field to the right of it. Delay Until Next Day of Week Select this option if you want to publish your episode on a specific day of the upcoming week after you click Publish. Enter the day of the upcoming week you want to publish your episode in the Release Day field, and enter the time you want to publish the episode in the field to the right of it.
- Click Save.