Libsyn offers a customizable media player for your podcast as well as customizable media players for specific episodes. If you have a third-party player you wish to use on a website, you are welcome to do so. Most third-party players will pull from an RSS feed or from your download URL for the media file.
When using or configuring a third-party player, we recommend following these guidelines for IAB compliance:
- Do not autoplay content or preload media.
- Use ID3v2 tags.
- ID3v2 tag size for artwork should be limited to 300 KB and a maximum of 800 x 800 pixels.
- For a full download, ask for the entire file at once. For a progressive download, ask for the file in slices (byte ranges).
- Do not modify the enclosure URL when requesting media; don’t add extra parameters.
- Do not cache podcast episodes. Always download the latest episode from the enclosure URL for every app user wanting to listen.
- Use the GUID (as opposed to episode URL, title, publication date, etc.) to identify new episodes in the RSS feed that should be automatically downloaded to a user’s device.
- Use an “automatic download unsubscribe” behavior (for example, stop auto downloads after 5 episodes of non-listens).
- Do not automatically download all episodes of a podcast by default.
If you have questions regarding using your third-party player, we recommend reaching out to the developer of that player.