WinSCP is a free, open source application for using FTP. This article provides details about how to set WinSCP up to connect to your Libsyn account so you can use FTP to upload and publish your episodes.
Before you can set up WinSCP, you need to create an FTP password that is different from the password you use to sign in to Libsyn. For more information about setting up your FTP password, see Create or Change an FTP Password.
Set up WinSCP
- Download and install WinSCP and then open the program. The Login window opens.
- In the Login window, enter the following information:
File Protocol Select FTP. After you do so, the Encryption field appears. Encryption Select TLS/SSL Explicit encryption. Host name Enter ftp-lax.libsyn.com Port number WinSCP might provide this information for you. If it doesn't, enter either 21 (for non-SSL) or 990 (SSL). User name Enter the email address you use to log in to Libsyn. Password Enter the FTP password you created. Note that this password is not the same password you use to log in to Libsyn.
- Click Save. The Save session as site window opens.
- In the Site name field of the Save session as site window, enter Libsyn FTP, or whatever name you want to call your connection.
- Optionally, we recommend that you select the Save password check box. Doing so is useful because it saves you from having to log in with your FTP password every time you want to connect to your Libsyn account.
- Click OK.
You can close the Login window, and you are now ready to connect to your Libsyn account to upload and publish episodes using FTP.
Connect WinSCP to Your Libsyn Account
Whenever you open WinSCP, you can connect to your Libsyn account by going to Session > Sites, and then selecting Libsyn FTP (or whatever you named your connection), as show in the image below.
When you connect, your show folders appear in the pane on the right of the WinSCP window. For more information about how to use the subfolders in your show folders to upload and publish episodes, or to upload other materials, see Use FTP to Upload or Publish Your Episodes.