The first step in using Connect is for the host to schedule a call, either immediately or for a future time. See Set Up a Recording in Connect. Whether you are the host or an invited guest, you are then directed to the Join Call page.
To navigate to the Join Call page in Connect:
- Do one of the following:
- Click on the Join Event link in an email invitation, or
- If you are the host, you can click on the scheduled call on your call dashboard. and then click Start Now on the Call Detail page.
If you scheduled the call for the future, you will enter the lobby. Click Start Now.
The Join Call page displays.
If a popup displays to ask you to permit Connect to use your microphone, click Allow.
Under the menu in the upper right, you can select the following options:
- Language - Click to change the language in which the text on your own screen displays. (This will not change the display language for anyone else on the call.)
- Sign Out - Click to sign out of Connect.
- Click the icon to display the following recording options:
- Microphone dropdown field - Select the microphone you want to use for the call.
Automatic Gain Control - (Available in Chrome and Firefox browsers.) Click to toggle this feature off if you want to control your audio gain manually instead of having Connect control it automatically.
You cannot change the microphone or gain control while recording.
- Speak into your microphone to test your volume. The meter displays your audio levels.
Our recommendations for recording:
- Stay between a finger and fist's distance from the mic.
- Keep the mic slightly off-center, rather than directly in front of you.
- If you are using your laptop's in-built microphone, lean close to your laptop and avoid typing while recording, so you can eliminate noise caused by keystrokes.
- Use headphones while recording.
- Turn off notifications from other applications to reduce distractions.
- Click Join Call when you are satisfied with your settings. See Join and Record a Connect Call as a Host or Join a Connect Call as a Guest.